Beloit & Beyond Historical Walking Trail
Expiration: Dec 31st 2025
Founded in 1836, Beloit, Wisconsin offers visitors a glimpse into its longstanding history with the launch of the Beloit & Beyond Historical Trail. With over 90 stops along your route, there’s something for all interest, and you can easily keep track on your free digital passport, which is available for instant access via text and email. Complete your passport and claim your prizes!
Included Venues

See locations on an interactive map.
103 Merrill St.
This simple, one-story property, nicknamed as a Brasstown cottage, features design elements from a Queen Anne, clapboard siding, an Eastlake style spindle porch with shed roof across the entire façade, and a round arched louver in the center gable. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 103 Merrill Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
107 Merrill St.
This simple, one-story property, nicknamed as a Brasstown cottage, features design elements from a Queen Anne, clapboard siding, an Eastlake style spindle porch with shed roof across the entire façade, a round arched louver in the center gable, but is missing the balusters on the porch railing. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 107 Merrill Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
1103 Chapin St.
This cream brick house, one-story in height with an attic, is a rare and architecturally significant example of the Second Empire style in Beloit. Small in scale, and based on a corner L-shape plan, the house is nonetheless distinguished by a mansard roof of multi-colored slate from which project former windows crowned with cornices. This house reflects the exuberance with which mid-Victorian builders endowed essentially mundane buildings. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1103-1105 Chapin St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
111 Merrill St.
This simple, one-story property, nicknamed as a Brasstown cottage, features design elements from a Queen Anne style, has wide aluminum siding which changes its scale and hides the louver in the gable. The less than full width front porch with decoration remains, along with an enclosed railing. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 111 Merrill Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
115 Merrill St.
This simple, one-story property, nicknamed as a Brasstown cottage, features design elements from a Queen Anne style, has wide aluminum siding which changes its scale and hides the louver in the gable. It features a full width front porch, but the railings and pillars have been altered. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 115 Merrill Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
341 Vernon Ave.
This frame two and one-half story house is architecturally significant as an outstanding example of the Late Picturesque styles which dominated local architecture throughout the last quarter of the 19th century. Asymmetrically composed with a tall and angular profile, and distinguished by its decorative use of material, the house combines elements of several familiar vernacular styles but borrows most heavily from the local Stick style. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 341 Vernon Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
931 Bluff St.
An excellent rendition of the local Stick style influenced vernacular, this frame house is sided with clapboard and ornamented with framing boards, corner brackets with pendants, and chamfered walls. The tall proportions, steeply pitched gables, intersecting masses, and one-over-one sash windows are derivative of picturesque 19th century styles, but the emphasis here is on the expression of structure. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 931 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
A.A. Aldrich House
An architecturally significant example of the Queen Anne style in Beloit, this highly angular and insistently asymmetrical house rises two stories before exploding upward in a profusion of vertical elements. With massing dominated by successively projecting and receding bays, and a silhouette characterized by steeply pitched intersecting gables, the house has a variegated composition that contrasts with its smooth clapboarded and shingled surface. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 423 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Aaron Lucius Chapin House (President’s House)
This house, although altered over the years from its original appearance, retains much of its original formal character, and now possesses much interesting detailing. Because of its commanding location immediately adjacent to the campus, and nearly facing Middle College, it is a significant landmark. It has been directly associated with the college throughout its life, and the architectural changes which have occurred are intimately tied into the personalities and events crucial to the history of Beloit College. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 709 College Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Allen L. Dearhammer House
The two and one-half story frame house is a well-preserved example of the late Queen Anne style. While more restrained in massing and detail than earlier houses of the style, the home still features projecting gables, ornamented with molded vergeboards, and supported by brackets. The front porch has paired Ionic columns and a decorative balustrade. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 954 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Allen W. and Margaret Cadwell House
This is a large Colonial Revival style brick two-story house with rectangular massing and a side gable roof. The main façade is arranged symmetrically, except for a one-and-one-half story wing on the east side of the house. Most of the house in constructed in red brick in a common bond, however, there is a wing, perhaps a later addition, to the east side of the house that has wood siding. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1628 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Anna Pratt House
This large residence, built in 1890, is an architecturally significant example of the Queen Anee style in Beloit. Rising two stories plus an attic, the frame house has a complex roof line with hip and gabled elements. A series of rounded, square, and chamfered bays project from the façade. The most remarkable feature of the house is the variegated siding using smooth and narrow clapboarding, as well as shingles in a reticulated pattern. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 726 Church St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Arthur P. and Alice Warner House
Designed by architect Chester Wolfley, the Arthur P. and Alice Warner House was originally constructed with the intent of using it as a carriage house ancillary to an adjacent home that was never completed. However, the owner was more than satisfied with the humbler Bungalow style one-and-one-half story building. The house has a cross plan with an attached carport and gabled roof. Most of the building is constructed in red brick with concrete accents, wood trim, and a red clay tile roof. Because the house was originally constructed as a carriage house it is set back considerably from the street to the south. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1229 Chapin St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beckman Mill
Beckman Mill was built by millwright William Howe of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin shortly after the Civil War. In 1882, it was acquired by August Beckmann who had previously operated mills in nearby Juda and Hanover. The mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. A restoration of the mill was completed in 1997 by the Friends of Beckman Mill’s volunteer work crew. It is operational with power being supplied by its original 1860s water driven Leffel turbine. In the event alternate power is needed, the mill can be operated by its vintage two-cylinder gasoline engine. Source: Friends of Beckman Mill, Inc.. (n.d.). Homepage. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beloit College Indian Mounds
The Beloit College Indian Mound group is located on a glacial outwash terrace 40 feet above the east shore of the Rock River and less than a mile from the mouth of Turtle Creek. The site originally consisted of 27 circular, oval, linear, and effigy mounds. Built between AD 400 and 1200, only 23 remain visible today and are identified as those from the Late Woodland people. These people may include ancestors of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) people and other tribes. Source: Beloit College. (n.d.). Indian Mounds. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beloit Corporation Guest House
The residence is an asymmetrical Contemporary style wood frame single-story house with an unusual and asymmetrical plan with a flat roof and several skylights and gabled roof structures. Much of the building is obscured from the street due to its style and setting. Most of the house’s exterior is vertically aligned board with occasional rough stone walls. The main façade, facing the street to the north, is angled slightly presenting a row of three individual overhead garage doors with painted wood frames. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1520 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beloit Paper Company Mill (Brown Swiss Association)
A two-story stone mill building, likely the oldest industrial structure still in use in Rock County, is a plain utilitarian vernacular structure. The window openings are round-arched and have been blocked on the west side. The front façade has been embellished with an alternating solid and open balustrade, classical entrances, and properly curved shutters. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 800 Pleasant St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beloit Post Office (Hendricks Center For the Arts)
This Neo-Classic Revival structure was formerly a post office, then adapted to reuse as the Beloit Public Library, and now serves as Beloit College’s Hendricks’ Center for the Arts. The building features an all-stone facade with massively engaged Ionic columns, cornice above with brackets, plus spaces between the columns now filled in with glass panels retaining original rhythm. The original architect, James Knox Taylor, was the Supervising Architect of the Treasury from 1897 until his retirement in 1912 and this was one of the last of his designs. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 409 Pleasant St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beloit Power Plant (Beloit College Powerhouse)
The Beloit Power Plant is composed of the Powerhouse and the Crusher House. The Powerhouse is the main building and was erected in seven stages. The original section is the northern half of the two-story red brick section, built ca. 1907 and expanded in 1913, 1917, and 1920. The three-story, red brick section has a concrete roof, and was added to the north end of the original section in 1925. The section that is finished with cream brick, also known as the Blackhawk Generating Station addition, was built in two phases, 1945-46 and 1948-1949. Designed by the Chicago engineering firm, Sargent & Lundy, this addition varies in height from three to five stories, and rests on a rusticated raised concrete basement. It is of steel-reinforced concrete construction. The Crusher House is a tiny, flat-roofed building finished with cream brick. It stands north of the Powerhouse and was erected in 1946. The Powerhouse generated electricity until 2005, and closed in 2010. It reopened in 2020 as a student union and athletic activity center for Beloit College. Sources: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 850 Pleasant St. https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/NationalRegister/NR2561; Beloit College. (n.d.). The Powerhouse. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Beloit Water, Gas & Electric Co. (Hotel Goodwin)
Combining elements of the Classical Revival with those of the progressive Sullivanesque commercial style, this building is a significant example of the most elaborate commercial architecture in Beloit. The three story building, faced with a coat of glazed terra cotta is crowned with an Egyptian styled cornice, and the piers and mullions are capped with Corinthian-like detail. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 500 Public Ave. & 419 Pleasant St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Black Hawk at Turtle Village/The U.S. Military at Turtle Village
The confluence of Turtle Creek and the Rock River was the perfect place to locate a large village. Paddling the waters allowed for east movement through the wild lands, and important Indian trails crossed here, connecting villages for trade and commerce. From about 1822 to 1832, Ke-Chunk was one of the major villages of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) people. The word Ke-Chunk, means “turtle” and the Ho-Chunk called Turtle Creek “Ke-chunk-nee-shun-nuk-ra.” Source: Nature at the Confluence. (n.d.). Kečąk: The Ho-Chunk at Ke-Chunk Village. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Bushnell-Wheeler House
The Bushnell-Wheeler house, an Italianate villa, was built by Reverend Alexander Montgomery in 1856 on a five-acre parcel as a retirement home for missionaries. Beloit College Professor Jackson Bushnell first purchased the land because he admired the view from this bluff south of Turtle Creek. After Montgomery’s death, it was deeded to the Bushnell family and then later sold to the Wheeler family. Leonard Wheeler was the founder of the Eclipse Windmill Company which later became Fairbanks Morse Corporation, now Fairbanks Defense. Source: South Beloit Historical Society. (n.d.). The History of the Bushnell Wheeler Home & South Beloit Historical Society. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Carnegie Library (Pettibone World Affairs Center)
This building is the finest extant example in Beloit of the Classical Revival style which influenced institutional architecture in the early 20th century. A rectangular block, with a projecting central pavilion and chamfered sides, the building is crowned with a heavy but crisply molded cornice, topped by a parapet. It also features a recessed entry supported by colossal Corinthian columns and engaged pilasters. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 634 College St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Charles and Della Emerson House
With multiple projecting gables, intersecting volumes, and variegated siding, this house is an architecturally significant example of the Queen Anne residential style. Rising two stories plus an attic, the house is composed of a complex massing best seen on the east façade where a gabled porch projects from a gabled bay which in turn projects from the main east gable which overhangs the east wall, creating a success of projecting and enlarged units. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 732 Church St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Charles H. Parker House
An architecturally significant example of the Italianate style in Beloit. This home is a classic two-story L-shaped structure with very wide eaves supported by paired scroll brackets and a low-pitched hip roof topped with a cupola. The regularly spaced windows, tall in proportion, are capped by pronounced segmental window heads with moldings. The house was built in 1858 and was the residence of Charles H. Parker, a pioneer Beloit manufacturer. It was one of the first homes to install gas lighting in Beloit. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 231 Roosevelt Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Charles Walker House
This two story frame house may have been built in two stages with an elaborate Italianate style wing affixed in front of an earlier Greek Revival style wing to the rear. This wing has a heavy Greek Revival style eave line and returned cornices on the rear gable, but the fenestration has been much altered by the addition of a dormer cutting through the eave line and by the installation of a large picture window sometime after World War II. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 756 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Clarence E. and Everlyn Cunningham Jr. House
This house is a symmetrical Regency style two-story brick structure with a simple rectangular mass and a hipped roof. The house is constructed of light brick with significant variety in color with brick details, quoins, and accents at the corners and chimneys. The main north façade is divided into three bays with the center entry bay protruding slightly from the otherwise flat masonry façade. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1826 Sherwood Dr. SW. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Dazey House
Combining elements of a vernacular Prairie style with detailing borrowed from the Arts and Crafts movement, the house is a significant example of the eclecticism that distinguished Beloit architecture in the 1920s. The two-story brick and stucco house has a marked horizontal character with emphatically rectilinear detailing. The low-pitched hip roof, its flared eaves extending well beyond the walls and supported by thin rafters, underscores the low profile of the house. Source: State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (July 1981). Intensive Survey Form: 746 Park Avenue. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Dr. Connell House
A significant example of Prairie style influence, this two-story stucco house is dominated by rectangular massing, horizontal lines, and a variety of materials and textures. The ribbon windows, extended eaves, and a low retaining wall all stress the horizontal quality of the house. Wooden trim provides a highly linear decorative scheme, dividing the façade into horizontal panels and framing the windows in horizontal bands. Source: State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (July 1981). Intensive Survey Form: 816 Wisconsin Avenue.
Show more
E. J. Evans House
Highly eclectic and a prominent visual landmark in the neighborhood, this two and one-half story brick house has a profusion of gabled elements, overhanging eaves supported by rafters, vergeboards, and brackets. Half-timbering in the gables, bays, and porch suggest the influence of English styles, but the lower stories, punctuated with one-over-one sash windows, are unornamented except for the variegated brick and the rusticated block foundation. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 900 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
E.L. Philhower House
Strongly suggestive of the Prairie style in its massing and profile, but employing individual elements as well, this is an example of eclectic progressive architecture. With a low-pitched hip roof and broadly extending flared eaves, the two-story house has an emphatic horizontal quality. A remarkable feature of the house is the six cubic piers. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 808 Park Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Eaton Chapel
Built of rusticated stone, in the Richardson-Romanesque style, the original interior design of the building was tongue and groove board ceiling, semicircular oak pews, and a platform across the west side containing seats. The cornerstone of the building was laid in 1891. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 720 College St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Elbert Neese House
Architecturally significant as an outstanding example of Tudor Revival style, the property achieved its present form when it was dramatically remodeled between 1920 and 1930. No visible trace of the original exterior remains. Instead, the house is a showplace of Tudor Revival details, composed in an eclectic but coherent fashion. The variegated material adds a rich textural, as well as a polychromatic, quality to the house that is contrasted with the timbers, red brick, and buff colored limestone. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1302 Bushnell St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Emerson Hall
Built in 1897, the brick building reflects elements of the exuberant and elaborately detailed “Jacobethan” style, a phase of the eclectic revival favored by academic institutions. The variety of its massing is apparent in its dimensions: the outside dimensions of the main block are 138 feet by 36 feet at its narrowest width or 57 feet at its widest, where bays project. The steeply pitched and intersecting gables, the curved and angular parapets, the bays, turrets, and chimneys all add to the building’s richly varied profile. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 930 Church St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Ernest C. and Pear Fiedler House
This is a nearly symmetrical Spanish Colonial Revival stucco one-story house with a north-south orientation and a hipped roof coupled with small gabled bays. Most of the house is constructed in rough stucco with concrete and wood trim and a clay tile roof. The main façade of the house facing west is arranged around a recessed open-air porch in the center of the building. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1747 Sherwood Dr. SW. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Fairbanks Flats
Severely utilitarian in appearance, these four apartment buildings are identical in plan and detail. Each building is constructed of concrete block with shed roofs and parapeted side walls. Each building is divided into six two-story units, with bracketed canopies overhanging the paired entries, one-over-one sash windows, and an absolute exclusion of ornament. These structures are a rare example of segregated company housing built during World War I, as it is historically significant both as an example of the role of private corporations in community planning during an era of rapid industrialization and as the nucleus of Beloit’s twentieth century black community. It represents the only known company housing built exclusively for Black workers in Wisconsin, therefore carries statewide significance. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 205, 215 Birch Ave. and 206, 216 Carpenter Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Florence Yates
Perhaps the most elaborately detailed and exuberantly executed of Beloit’s Georgian Revival homes, this two and one-half story red brick house is an architecturally significant example of the Colonial Revivalism that swept Beloit in the first half of the 20th century. Gable roofed and symmetrically arranged, the house is dominated by the two story, pedimented portico which bisects the north elevation and projects outward. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1614 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
George H. Anderson House
With an asymmetrical composition, an explosively varied profile and a full array of decorative ornaments, this house is an outstanding example of the fully embellished Queen Anne style in Beloit. The main north-south gable is steeply pitched and ornamented with a massive king post, collar beam, and bargeboard. Intersecting the roofline is an engaged conical roof, with finial, surmounting the two-story western bay with an additional three-story rectangular tower. The home was built in 1889 and was first owned by George H. Anderson. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 259-261 St. Lawrence Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
George Talmadge House
This two-story home is Italianate in style with a low hip roof, wide eaves that are supported by spaced double brackets, a clapboard sided façade, and recessed side lights in the entry. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 303 St. Lawrence Ave. (706 Bluff). Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Glenn R. Dallman House
Designed by the architect William Wesley Peters and engineer Kamel Amin, the Glenn R. Dallman House is an asymmetrical Wrightian style stone one-story house with a curvilinear snail shell form in plan with a largely flat roof. Most of the house is constructed in limestone with stucco and metal details. As a demonstration of organic modernism, the house intentionally hugs the landscape of its corner lot and is difficult to see completely from the street. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1225 Bushnell St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Greek Row on Campus
Fraternities and sororities have been a part of Beloit College student life since the founding of the school. Many groups started out as social clubs based on housing, until they grew and evolved into local Greek organizations and local chapters of national fraternities and sororities. The first fraternity to be established on campus was Beta Theta Pi in 1860, and the first sorority was Theta Pi Gamma in 1896. As of 2012, Theta Pi Gamma is one of six Greek organizations still active at Beloit College, all of which are governed by the Interfraternal Panhellenic Council (IFPC). The other five houses are Phi Kappa Psi, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Tau, and Kappa Delta. Source: Beloit College. (n.d.). Fraternities and Sororities records. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
H.D. Jameson House
The H.D. Jameson House is a historic house located at 900 North Prairie Street in Rockton, Illinois. Local merchant and farmer H.D. Jameson built the house in 1855. The house is designed in the Greek Revival style, which enjoyed national popularity at the time of the house's construction. The random stone exterior of the house is punctuated by sash windows and the entrance, which is flanked by sidelights. The front-facing gable roof features a wide cornice with returns. A two-story portico was added to the south side of the house in 1870. Learn more here.
Show more
Hamilton House
Built in 1905, this frame house rising two stories plus an attic, is a significant example of an early 20th century residence in Beloit, caught in transition between the late Queen Anne and the quieter, more cubic styles of the new century. The massing here is nearly cubic, ornament is reduced, and the fenestration aims at the regular, but a corner turret, rising from a rounded bay culminating in a conical roof. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 805 Church St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Hanchett Hall
This is a four-story Victorian commercial building which is of major local significance for its long association with Beloit business and social life. The top two stories are an auditorium with a stamped metal ceiling and panels of intertwined garlands and a cove frieze of palmettos. The façade dates from 1893-1904 and has wide round-arched, one-over-one windows that are spaced between brick pilasters intersected with string courses between stories. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 307 State St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead
The house reflects both the Greek Revival-Italianate transitional style of the period (c. 1857) and the masonry architecture of the area. Built of limestone quarried only a quarter mile away, the front portion of the house is a bracketed two-story, hipped roof block. The block is topped by a bracketed frame observatory with louvred Palladian windows. The first-floor windows on the front façade are tall four-over-four double hung sash, heightening the formal and imposing character of the house. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 2149 St. Lawrence Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Hilton House Hotel
This three-story structure, originally used as a hotel, is said to be the first concrete building in Beloit. It is a stripped-down commercial style with Neo-Classic overtones including a full pediment over the principal entrance. The exterior of the building has remained largely unaltered. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 434 E. Grand Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Hiram Turner House
The residence appears to have been built in several stages beginning in the early 1850’s. It is a one-story gable-roof cobblestone cottage with a one-story limestone wing to the south. A two-story cream brick addition to the east was made in the early 1870’s. The cobblestone portion shows Greek Revival influences, and the two-story cream break addition is vernacular in style. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 326 St. Lawrence Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Horace F. and Nell Freeman House
Designed by architect Chester E. Wolfley, this is an asymmetrical Tudor Revival style brick and stucco two-story house with multiple and varied facades and gables. The large house is constructed in a mix of materials including brick, stucco, stone, concrete, and wood trim. The house has several architectural elaborations on the main façade and elsewhere including overhanding eaves, large wings attached to the mass of the house via a narrow-enclosed passageway, stone trim, and elaborations in the brickwork. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1754 Sherwood Dr. SW. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Ironworks Campus
In 1896, Beloit Iron Works unveiled their new state-of-the-art machine shop, an expansive complex that spread across thirty acres of downtown riverfront property. With experienced craftsmen and the hottest modern technology (electric cranes, lighting and motors), Iron Works began manufacturing equipment that often stretched the length of a football field. In 1999, shifting economies and corporate restructuring caught up with the industrial powerhouse that was once the heartbeat of the city. Beloit Corporation filed for bankruptcy and closed its doors. In a day, more than 2,000 people were left jobless. In 2001, Diane Hendricks and her late husband, Ken (founder of ABC Supply Co. and Beloit 2000 member), stepped up to the plate and purchased the industrial complex, preventing its acquisition by out-of-town developers. It is now home to more than 1,200 employees and 20 businesses, including industry-leading technology companies, a co-working space, a career exploration center for students and a state-of-the-art entertainment facility. Source: Hendricks Group. (n.d.). Property Record: History of Ironworks. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
J.J. Blaisdell House
A two-story frame house built in the mid-1850s, this vernacular cottage is built on an L-shaped plan with gabled roof, bay window, plain and labeled window heads, and unornamented clapboarding. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 647 College St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
J.W. Crist House
This is one of the finest Queen Anne houses, built in 1904, in the city of Beloit. The tall proportions, varied massing, and contrasting materials are trademarks of the style, by the execution here is fresh and lively. Asymmetrically composed of three main units, two gabled sections in a L-shape plan with an octagonal tower at the intersection, the building rises two and one-half stories in height from a foundation of rock-faced stone. Each story of the tower is demarcated by a stone string course, with an unornamented frieze beneath the flared eaves. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 2601 Afton Rd. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Jesse McQuigg House
An architecturally significant, and the best-preserved example of Greek Revival architecture in Beloit, this home constructed before 1857 demonstrates the rectangular dimensions and low-pitched gable roof of the style. Rising one story with an attic, the gable end faces the street and features a cornice return in suggestion of a fuller pediment. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 635 College. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
John B. Pfeffer House
This two-story frame house, built in the early 1870s, is architecturally significant as an example of the vernacular late Italianate houses of the period which employed a variety of machine-produced wooden ornament to decorate an otherwise unrelieved façade. It has a low-pitched hip roof with projecting eaves, tall and narrow windows, thin corner boards, and a frieze board outlines the house. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 722-724 Chapin St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Kendall House
Built in 1860, this two-story frame house is an example of a mid-century Italianate residence. Built on an L-shaped plan, the rectangularly massed, vertically oriented house has a low-pitched hip roof with extending eaves supported by carved brackets. The symmetrically disposed windows are tall and narrow, surmounted by bracketed, projecting cornices. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 818 Church St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Lathrop-Munn Cobblestone House
The one and one-half story, 26 feet by 30 feet cobblestone house, built in a Greek Revival style has a gabled roof and returned cornices. The house is one of two of the best-preserved cobblestone houses in Beloit and is a rare example of this type of construction that was imported to Wisconsin by settlers from New England and New York. It is noteworthy for its fine matching of smooth pebbles. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 524 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Memorial Hall (Logan Museum of Anthropology)
Architecturally significant as one of the finest examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in Beloit, it is distinguished by massive walls of heavily rusticated limestone, steeply pitched gables, and pointed arched details. The exterior has never been altered. The building is based on an L-shape plan with two intersecting gabled units as a two-story structure with a basement. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 615 Prospect Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Middle College
Rising three stories in height, crowned with a dramatic cupola, and fronted with a colossal Doric pedimented portico remains the visual and spiritual center of Beloit College. Despite the grandeur of the tetraprostyle portico and the over scaled cupola, the original lines of the red brick building remain. Tall proportions, a hip roof, plus five bays across the east and west facades and four bays across the north and south facades impose its importance on campus. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 700 College St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Moran’s Saloon
Architecturally significant as one of the best-preserved Victorian Italianate commercial structures in Beloit. This building is an excellent vernacular adaption of the Renaissance Revival ubiquitous in American cities after 1850. The first floor has been altered, but still retains its original second floor character. Divided into three window bays on the second story, with round arched windows of tall narrow proportions, the building employs heavily molded brick detail to create a lively façade. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 312 State St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Morse-Ingersoll Hall
A red brick building in the Georgian style with two wings connected by an arched throughway at the main floor level and by a corridor lined with offices at the second-floor level. The cornerstone was laid in 1930 and the building has been in constant use predominantly by social science and humanity departments. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 610 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Moss House
This two and one-half story frame house is an architecturally distinctive example of residential eclecticism in Beloit. The unornamented first story is covered in narrow shingles and framed by battered piers while the upper stories are faced with stucco and ornamented with wooden "half-timbered" trim. The broad roof gables have bracketed vergeboards and project beyond the lower stories, emphasizing the horizontal quality of the house. Influenced by the Prairie style, the Tudor Revival, and other contemporary work, this home combines a variety of materials and motifs in an individual design. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 636 Harrison. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
North College (Campbell Hall)
This building still retains the simple classical lines originally designed for this three-story building built of red brick. It is divided into bays by slightly projecting pilasters. Three bays wide and two bays deep, each bay has one window per story, surrounded by flat stone lintels and projecting sills. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 608 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Norwegian Lutheran Church
An outstanding and well-preserved example of vernacular Victorian Gothic architecture, this simple frame church built in 1877 is distinguished by its steeply pitched gable roof, its pointed arch windows, and an engaged square entry tower. The tower, which is truncated and capped with a denticulate cornice, features a large, pointed arch window with simple wooden tracery and stained glass. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 717 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Paley House
Composed of two intersecting units with steeply pitched gable roofs, a delicately proportioned tower rising from the intersection, and a pedimented veranda embracing the front façade, this residence is an example of the Queen Anne style. Two stories with a tall attic, the frame house is dominated by broad and massive shingled gables. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 802 Park Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Pearsons Hall of Science
Pearsons Hall of Science is architecturally significant as representing the work of a master firm of architects headed by Daniel Burnham of Chicago, one of America's most important architects at the turn of the century. This building, built in 1891-1892, was designed in a free adaptation of the Romanesque Revival style, popularized by H.H Richardson. An imposing building faced with rusticated plum brown brick, with a skeletal framing system of iron posts, it is composed of three attached elements: a middle section with apse and two matching wings set back from the front facade of the middle section. Each of these units is capped with a hipped roof broken by central gables. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 504 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Rasey House (Daughters of the American Revolution)
Built of grey cobblestones gathered from the bed of Turtle Creek, this house is architecturally significant as a well-preserved example of Rock County’s cobblestone houses. A one and one-half story building, the house is a simple rectangle in plan. The cobblestones are arranged in thin horizontal rows separated by half-round projecting mortar joints. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 517 Prospect St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Richard Newcomb House
One of the finest mid-century residences in Beloit, this house is an architecturally significant example of the Italianate style, with a commanding site on top of the hill near Horace White Park. Florid in its profuse detail yet controlled by a classic rectilinear spirit, the two-story frame house is at once stately and exuberant. The low-pitched hip roof, crowned with a balustrade and two symmetrically disposed chimneys, has widely projecting eaves, treated as a classical cornice and supported by paired scroll brackets. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 905 Bushnell St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Rindfleisch Flowers
An architecturally significant example of the non-historical brick commercial structures, dominant in the 1920s, the building is characterized by brick piers, stone trim, a parapeted roofline, and a large plate glass storefront. A stone course articulates the top of the third story and stone capitals crown the piers. The first-story storefront is distinguished by its cutaway entry on the northwest corner and a Tudor arched doorway on the northeast. This building remains in its totally original, unaltered state and is in fact probably the least altered pre-1930 structure in all downtown Beloit. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 512 E. Grand Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Ross Hoble House
This large frame house, rising two stories with an attic, is an architecturally significant example of the late Queen Anne homes of Beloit. Built in 1896, its massing is controlled by a central cubic block with a steeply pitched hip roof and flared eaves. Its subsidiary projections give the house a liveliness in plan and silhouette: cross gables project from the side facades with pedimented gables and overhanging cornices. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 819 Park Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Roy Chapman Andrews Historical Marker
Roy Chapman Andrews grew up in Beloit which is bisected by the Rock River with associated marshes and wooded areas nearby nourishing Roy’s love for nature, hunting, and fishing as he got older. During his junior year at Beloit College, he and a good friend and teacher, Montague White, went canoeing, camping, and hunting along the spring-melt-swollen Rock River; they both went overboard, White drowned, and Roy barely made it to safety. The tragic episode affected him throughout his life. Immediately after receiving his degree from Beloit College in June 1906, Roy spent the day in the woods reflecting on his wasted opportunities. He vowed never to squander another. He headed to New York City and begged for a job cleaning floors at the American Museum of Natural History. Thus began a new phase of life for Andrews. Source: Roy Chapman Andrews Society. (n.d.). A Visual History of Roy Chapman Andrews. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Roy Chapman Andrews' birthplace and boyhood home
This house is the boyhood home of Roy Chapman Andrews, an explorer for the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. He began his career by sweeping floors at the museum in 1906. By 1934, he had become the museum's director. Andrews is famed for the dramatic expeditions he led to the Gobi Desert of Mongolia from 1922 to 1930. Andrews adventurous experiences and narrow escapes are said to have inspired Steven Spielberg's movie character "Indiana Jones." Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 419 St. Lawrence Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Roy Chapman Andrews' grave
Roy Chapman Andrews came back to Beloit for short visits after his career with the American Museum of Natural History. He died from a heart attack on March 11, 1960, in Carmel, CA at the age of 76. His body was cremated, and his ashes were interred here in Oakwood Cemetery on June 7, 1960. Oakwood Cemetery is the final resting place for Andrews and the Chapman family, all of whom died prior to Roy. Source: Roy Chapman Andrews Society. (n.d.). A Visual History of Roy Chapman Andrews. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Roy Rockwell House
In its present form, this two and one-half story frame house shows strong influence of the “new Suburban style” of domestic architecture, as well as elements of the Colonial Revival and even the Late Picturesque styles. The latter is shown in the second story bay window at the rear corner of the house, which may be a holdover from an earlier house on this site. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 617-617 1/2 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Selvy Blodgett House
This simple Greek Revival residence built of locally quarried limestone is architecturally significant as a well-preserved example of a type and period of construction. Built in an L-form plan, the house is composed of two sections which are flush at the rear. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 417 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Sereno T. Merrill House
Finely detailed and well-preserved, this spectacular frame house, built in 1869, is an architecturally significant example of the Italian villa style, rare in Beloit but executed here with elegance and grace. Balancing classical forms in an asymmetrical composition that evokes the picturesque, the two-story house is built in an L-shaped plan with a corner tower riding three stories. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 703 Park Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Sigma Chi Fraternity
Architecturally significant as an outstanding example of the late or transitional Queen Anne houses in Beloit, the property combines the irregular silhouette and textural variety of that style with simplified massing and a quieter decorative plan. The house is composed of two intersecting sections, three stories in height, and broad, overhanging pedimented gables. Almost all external ornament has been omitted from the house and simple horizontal framing boards and corner boards outline the various units. Roy Chapman Andrews was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity located at this property. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 745 Milwaukee Rd. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
South College
A two-story cream brick building, this is a simplified adaptation of a design submitted originally for Racine High School, built in 1858-59. The façade itself features two story recessed blind arches on each side, which are themselves recessed within vertical rectangles. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 624 Prospect St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
St. Paul Catholic Church (Visit Beloit)
This building, originally built in 1914 at St. Paul’s Catholic Church, features a gable roof flanked by a truncated square tower with flat roof trimmed with battlements. The front red brick gable wall includes wall buttresses, inset crosses, and a rose window with four key stones. Side walls each contain a series of four round stained-glass windows. The building served as a Catholic church for 75 years, as The Angel Museum for 20 years, and now is the home of Visit Beloit, the destination marketing organization for the region. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 656 Pleasant St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Strong Building
This four-story building is an outstanding example of Art Deco architecture distinguished by its glazed terra cotta façade, the sleek verticality of its piers, and the remarkable, colorful floral motif which crowns the building. The exterior walls have been reduced to structural elements: piers run uninterrupted to the cornice while spandrels at each floor are recessed. The streamlined modernity of the building is evident in the curved corner which races around the city intersection of State and Grand. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 400, 404, 408 E. Grand Ave. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Sylvester Parker House
Originally a transitional Greek Revival/Italianate structure, this two-story brick house was altered with Colonial Revival details in 1929 but retains its overall character. The tall windows, surmounted by flat stone lintels, maintain their original proportions and the projecting eaves of the hip roof reflect the original profile. This home was built in 1857-1858. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 320 Bluff St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
T. Dwight and Rosella Woolsey Jr. House (1810 Emerson House Bed and Breakfast)
This home is a two-story Colonial Revival of brick construction with extending mortar joints. It features a bonnet top pediment over the front entrance and two quarter-round windows on each side of both wall chimneys. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1810 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
The Pump House
This one and one-half story red brick building was constructed in 1885. Sanborn maps of 1890 and 1895 reveal that the building was divided into three rooms with the pumps housed in the westernmost room, the boilers in the middle room, and the coal was stored in the easternmost room. A one-story frame addition extended the building to the north. A jerkin head roof with a large gable dormer set into the south slope covers the rectangular-shaped building. The style of the building is vernacular and utilitarian. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1005 Pleasant St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
The Smith Building
This structure is two stories plus basement built in red brick with a hipped, red tile roof in a Georgian Revival mode. It features an over-scaled frieze, overhanging eaves, exceptionally large windows, and a pedimented entrance. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 506 Emerson St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Thomas M. and Anne Ellis Jr. House
This is a symmetrical Georgian Revival style painted brick two-story house with a large rectangular mass and a side-gable roof. Most of the house is of masonry construction except for a wood frame rear single-story addition. The main west-facing two-story façade has a symmetrical neoclassical porch with four full-height Doric columns. The symmetrical windows are eight-over-one with wood trim and a single shutter flanking it on the outside of the window. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 2010 Sherwood Dr. SW. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Tiffany Bridge
Known locally as the Tiffany Bridge, after a hamlet just to the north, it is a magnificent structure, 387 1/2 feet long, built of quarry-faced limestone blocks. Each of its five arches spans fifty feet and has a radius of 26 1/2 feet. John Watson, a contractor in Janesville who specialized in bridges and tunnels, built the span according to plans developed by the railway company’s chief engineer, a man known now only as van Mienen. The rugged stone used in the spandrels of the arches was quarried near Waupun and Green Bay and sent rough to the site, where workers cut it by hand. A corbeled cornice - four stepped courses of limestone blocks, topped by a stone cap - surmounts the arches. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: Northwestern Railroad Tracks over Turtle Creek. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Vale Bakery
At the age of 17, Roy Chapman Andrews was employed by Vale Bakery. He loaded a horse-drawn wagon and delivered bakery items to customers from this building. Source: Roy Chapman Andrews Society. (n.d.). A Visual History of Roy Chapman Andrews. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Waldo and Jennie Thompson House
An imposing and formal house of tan brick, this residence reflects the large and increasingly academic Colonial Revival style favored in the 1920’s. Rising two and one-half stories, with a steeply pitched gable roof, and flanked by symmetrically disposed side wings, the main block of the house is perfectly rectangular in plan with a façade of studied symmetry and classical detail. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1335 Chapin St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Water Tower
The old Beloit Water Tower is built on one of the highest points of the city. Octagonal in shape, the staged tower was constructed of local limestone and was described as “one of the most massive pieces of mason work put up in the country.” The tower consists of four octagonal shaped drums. Each drum is recessed eight inches from the drum below. The 36-foot tower is 36 feet in diameter at the base and 30 feet at the top. The walls at the base are eight feet thick. This is the last significant structure still standing which reflects the civic development of Beloit in the nineteenth century. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 530 Tower St. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
William and Laura Perrigo Jr. House
Thie asymmetrical Contemporary style wood frame and sided one-story house features a broad and low mass with both a flat and slanted roof. Nearly all the building is constructed with wood members, panels, and trim. The main façade, facing north, is divided into three distinct portions: a large central section with a one-and-one-half story monitor above, a three-car garage wing slanting to the ear, and a simple wing slanting to the west. Like homes designed in this way, the interior uses of the house are legible from the exterior. Source: Wisconsin Historical Society. (n.d.). Property Record: 1860 Sherwood Dr. SW. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more
Wisconsin's First Aviator
Beloit has the honor of being the home of Arthur P. Warner, the pioneer aviator who was the first private owner of an airplane and who made the first flight of an airplane in Wisconsin here at Morgan Farm on November 4, 1909. Warner, while on a trip to the East Coast, had witnessed a flight by Glenn Curtiss of his Curtiss Pusher, and on June 23, 1909, he became the first American to ever purchase an airplane. His first flight, as a self-trained pilot, made him the sixth American to pilot a powered aircraft and the first in Wisconsin. His first flights attained the height of fifty feet, and he maintained that height for fifteen minutes. He did not have the initial skill to turn his aircraft in flight, so his initial flights were one way, landing, turning the aircraft around, and repeating the flight back. Source: Beloit Historical Society. (n.d.). Following the Sky: Celebrating Beloit Aviation. Tap 'info' above to view this location's website with more information!
Show more